[Wolves] Linux Security

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Thu Oct 2 08:05:18 UTC 2008

Simon C. Burke wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently acquired a Compaq CL380 that I'm currently upgrading and
> making to a couple of servers, (I think two people may know from where I
> acquired this server *looks at Chris and Dave*).

Is that me [Dave] ?
If Chris is involved, I can guess where it's from.

> Are things like SELinux worthwhile? Or can the same effect be achieved
> by hand per process? (would take an eon I know)

My minimal experiences with SELinux (RHEL5 on a LAMP server) are that it
can be a right pain in the bum and caused me enough grief to disable it.
The theory behind it is great - but in my case, it seemed that it
convienantly forgot the custom modifications I'd made to the SELinux
policy after a random amount of time - causing the app to stop working.

You might also want to look at AppArmo[u]r

If you're really paranoid about security, I think using Gentoo with a
kernel with the various PaX stuff enabled it probably the way to go -
but this may cause other issues (i.e. if $customer expects to get
support from someone like RedHat)

David.

--
David Goodwin