[Wolves] FOSS, who's it for? Us or them?

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Tue Sep 16 10:55:24 UTC 2008

dick_turpin wrote:

> How come Google Chrome, supposedly born of open source code, is for
> Windows? And why, as LH says, does the community have to lash up some
> band aid, a twig, three elastic bands and some super glue to make it
> work on Linux?

As far as I know, Chrome for Linux is not finished yet but is in
development. You can compile it yourself if you want but people say it's
just not ready yet. Google has hit the biggest market first and will
follow with Linux and Mac versions. I guess the wine effort is for
people who don't want to wait.

> I don't really want an answer

Oh.

> as I couldn't give a toss for Google
> Chrome but its a possible prime example of the failure of freedom, only
> the rich can afford to do anything with it the rest of us end up with
> scraps and have to 'make do' with a glass of wine.

Not a failure of freedom as such, just a misunderstanding on your part I
think. When the Linux version comes out, then we'll see. It makes sense
to focus engineering time on releasing to the largest market first and
then adding the smaller markets. I think most businesses would see it
that way while members of the smaller markets who have to wait may not.

Ad

PS Re your blog post about the Dell Inspiron Mini, it will be available
with Ubuntu in the next month or so, as will alternative hardware
configuration options. I think you have comments disabled.