[Wolves] Screen resolution on Ubuntu 9.10

DragonMaster LUG at clews.homelinux.net
Wed Dec 16 09:27:16 UTC 2009

Dave Morley wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 09:53 +0000, DragonMaster wrote:
>
>> Morning all,
>>
>>   I wonder if anyone can help here - I have an Advent 4312 which runs
>> beautifully in Ubuntu, but when I plug in my Chuntex 16" monitor
>> (formerly CTX) I can only get 1152x864 resolution.  I have checked the
>> xorg.0.log file and hal is deciding that any higher resolutions are not
>> supported by the monitor (which they are - to at least 1280x1024).
>> xorg.conf doesn't have any reference in it at all to VGA1 which is the
>> external monitor.
>>
>>   Searching the web I have noticed that there are a number of issues
>> around the new xorg subsystem and the suggestion is to use xrandr to
>> generate a new mode and use that.  The problem I now have is that I
>> can't find all the requisite settings to create the new mode - clock,
>> refresh etc.
>>
>>   Has anyone had any success overriding hal and forcing true resolutions?
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> DM
>>

> Yes thanks,
>
> If you use google and type in xorg resolution calculator that should
> give you the line you require for xrandr.  I'll double check for the
> site tomorrow for you.

Cheers Dave - You de Man... ;-)  Through your suggestion I have found
the gtf tool.  Simply provide the x y and refresh values, and it spits
back a mode line that can be used in xrandr:
$ gtf 1280 1024 60

  # 1280x1024 @ 60.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 63.60 kHz; pclk: 108.88 MHz
  Modeline "1280x1024_60.00"  108.88  1280 1360 1496 1712  1024 1025
1028 1060  -HSync +Vsync

$ xrandr --newmode Andy 108.88  1280 1360 1496 1712  1024 1025 1028 1060
$ xrandr --addmode VGA1 Andy

All I need to do now is work out how to automate this and persuade xorg
to put the monitors in the correct sequence, but that can wait for a
while - at least I can now see what I am doing :lol:

DM.