[Wolves] Thought for the day

dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Tue Feb 17 11:50:12 UTC 2009

Andrew Lewis wrote:
>> If a website will not work (Or display properly) in Explorer is that a
>> good site or a bad site?
>>
> Whiich version of IE? I know some php sessions stuff doesn't work
> properly in IE7 - I choose to believe that the browser is at fault,
> not the site.

Yeah IE7 or as I like to call it "We stole some features from
opensource" browser ;-)

>> IMO a website should be accessible to anyone
>> regardless of what they use to view it.
>>

> I think you just answered your own question there, Mr. Turpin. Really,
> it comes down to usage... if the site works in the most commonly used
> browsers, and uses widely accepted implementations of web standards,
> then it's fine. If the site only works in 50% of the browsers, then I
> think there's a problem with the site.

Does Joe Public care about web standards? I think not, only geeks care
about it, all Joe Public cares about is nicking them DS games, getting
Pron to load quicker and telling their mates what they eat for breakfast
on Twitter. :-P
> Try reversing the question - if the site ONLY works in internet
> explorer - is it a good site or a bad site?

Bad IMO it should work in any browser, but then that's the salesman in
me, a lost 'surfer' is a lost victim (Oops I mean valued customer) ;-)
> Dont forget that you also need to consider the likes of safari /
> chrome / opera, too :p

As above :-P :-P