[Wolves] Business Start Up (Was Proposed Talks)

dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Wed Jul 15 11:40:32 UTC 2009

Claire wrote:
> One final, final, final thing.. W.E.E.E. Its a pain! And remember, pride
> comes before a fall, theres no place for it.

For those *Older Members* I now await the replies of "Oh, Pete was right
then, you have to be cut throat like he is"
Fancy some selling tips Adam :-)

*Customers are like teenagers*
1. They think they know everything.
2. They try it on.
3. They don't want to pay.

Not sure what type of venture your planning but take one piece of
advice, *Don't give credit if you can help it* Make new customers pay by
Credit Card or BACS if they come back a couple of times more then offer
a limited 30 day account 14 would be better even 7 but ideally no credit
at all if possible.

If you have to make a concession get them to pay 50% up front with the
understanding that the Invoice will be payable on 'Date of issue' they
will try the old chestnut of "Everyone else is 30 days" I generally say
"Try that at ASDA when doing your shopping".

Don't do a thing until you have the money. As you know I charge £500 for
Joomla sites I tell them openly and up front these exact words "My
fingers do not touch the keyboard until that £500 is paid".

*Credit Control*
You'll love this you'll get every excuse under the sun "Can we have a
remittance" "We have nothing posted to the system" "Can you send a copy
invoice" "Our next cheque run is in two weeks" these are all delaying
tactics  to make sure the money stays in their account rather than
yours. We had one customer who went 120 days over due  20%  are
currently running into 90 days yet *Still ordering stuff*.

Business are like marriages start  it as you mean to go on, its no good
two years down the line trying to change certain things they'll get the
hump and bugger off with the next door neighbour ;-)

Oh and I nearly forgot don't be scared when trying to get customers
remember they wasn't a customer before so if you don't get them what
have you lost? Nothing. :-)