[Wolves] Wolves LUG 10 years old

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Tue Jul 21 14:45:44 UTC 2009

If I recall correctly, Wolves LUG is 10 years old later this year. I
remember the old website saying the LUG was formed in 99. I came to my
first meeting in December 2000. I remember Ron, James, Jono and possibly
Mr and Mrs Laptop being there, maybe others. It was the Christmas
meet-up on the 20th I think, could have been the 13th.

As far as I can work out, the only people still (actively) around within
the LUG from before my arrival are James, Ron and occasionally Sparkes.
Apologies if I missed somebody out, it was nearly 10 years ago.

archive.org has a snapshot of the old wolves.lug.org.uk website, which
states that the first website went live on 29th November 1999 and 2nd
December the mailing list started working.

http://web.archive.org/web/20001204201300/http://www.wolves.lug.org.uk/

Have a look round and poke fun at the old photos of Jono, Sparkes and
Lee Jordan, amuse yourself with the then current distos: Mandrake 7, Red
Hat 6.1 and SuSE 6.4 and MS Quick Basic in Lee's photo.

So depending on which date you take as the LUG's launch, we are 10 years
old at the end of the year and as it happens, the 2nd December (mailing
list launch) is a Wednesday.

Would anyone care to point out some key Wolves LUG moments in the last
10 years? People pointing out that they joined in the year 200x doesn't
count as a key event or I'd have tried that one :)

I wonder if Peter Cannon had hair in 1999?

Ad