[Wolves] Microsofts sudden release of GPL code

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Thu Jul 23 11:31:38 UTC 2009

Kevanf1 wrote :
> I predict a free version of MS Windows within the next 5 years.  I
> started out by typing an 'open source' version but that's doubtful.
> It will be grealy hobbled and that will of course be an incentive to
> buy the full version.  I think this hobbled version will be made to
> run alongside Linux but only just and this will be frustrating enough
> again to push towards the user being more willing to upgrade (buy) the
> full version.

They don't need to create a free version of windows... it's bundled
with all new computers, and consumers expect to pay for it. If there
was a free version it would be hobbled to some extent with a 'Upgrade
for £40 and get XXX' messages everywhere.

The only chance of Windows ever becoming free is if MS manage to move
all their Apps (Office etc) into the cloud and could make loads of
cash from flogging them ... and having a free Windows helps them ensure
their dominance in the cloud. (Like bundling IE with Windows)

David.

--
David Goodwin

[ david at codepoets dot co dot uk ]