[Wolves] Wolves LUG 10 years old

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Fri Jul 24 13:02:48 UTC 2009

Adam Sweet wrote:
> Stephen Parkes wrote:
>> 2009/7/21 Adam Sweet <adam at adamsweet.org>:
>>

>>> archive.org has a snapshot of the old wolves.lug.org.uk website, which
>>> states that the first website went live on 29th November 1999 and 2nd
>>> December the mailing list started working.
>> I have a confession to make I created that logo in fireworks (also the
>> two logos linuxuk used and one for xinit systems ;) )
>
> Y'know, I always liked that logo so I've saved it from archive.org, and
> clumsily edited out the blue background as best as I could, re-attached
> the chin as a layer and saved it in the The Gimp .xcf format to give it
> some open source credibility should we ever need it again ;) A version
> of it lives on, being used on the current website. Nobody ever need know
> the dark history :)
>
>>> http://web.archive.org/web/20001204201300/http://www.wolves.lug.org.uk/
>>>
>>> Would anyone care to point out some key Wolves LUG moments in the last
>>> 10 years? People pointing out that they joined in the year 200x doesn't
>>> count as a key event or I'd have tried that one :)
>> This was a key event
>> http://web.archive.org/web/20001204202400/www.wolves.lug.org.uk/m1.htm
>>
>> shame the only photo working is one of my ugly mug messing around with
>> a copy of NT4 and a penguin because Lee looked around 12 then ;)
>
> Y'know I probably pored over that website for weeks before I finally
> joined the mailing list and started posting. Good old days :)
>
> Ad
Sound like we need to organise a celebration in November!

Some of the key events that I remember:

Aq joining us (2002?).

LugRadio - 2003 (lugradio.org was registered by Matt on 16 May 2003).

Jono's birthday meal at The Standard, it went on until the early hours
and most of the attendees failed to show up for work the next day.  Not
sure if it was the food (maybe) or the quantity of drink (probably).

2004? Christmas Meal - about 40 people squeezed into the back room of
The Standard (whatever standard they used, it was easy to achieve!).

Running Infopoints at the local computer fairs, telling people that the
computers were not for sale but we could/would give them the software.

First LugRadio Live (2005) - I went to the racecourse to collect Mark
Shuttleworth when he flew in by helicopter.  We expected 75-100 people,
at least twice that number turned up.

First ever trip to the Pie Factoy - deep fried black pudding as a
starter. Aq's face on being served a mixed grill on a shovel.

- --
Ron Wellsted
ron at wellsted.org.uk http://www.wellsted.org.uk
N 52.567623, W 2.136111 Linux Counter No. 202120
Ekiga: 645022