[Wolves] CrunchBang (Ubuntu) Help

dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Thu Mar 19 09:36:10 UTC 2009

Hi All

OK so I'm using CrunchBang which as the enlightened will know is a
derivative of Ubuntu. Now I know nothing about Ubuntu or Debian, I
installed Wicd and apt-get very kindly removed gnome-network and
gnome-network-manger which in effect meant "No more network" Huzzah!
Thanks a bunch!

So from a terminal peter~ sudo sudo wicd gets the service running and
access to the big bad world is regained however, and here's the rub;

1. How the hell do I get the daemon to load at start up? To my horror I
discovered there is no such thing as;
peter~ chkconfig wicd on

2. How do I get the network icon to appear automatically on the panel? I
don't want to keep navigating to the .py file and running that manually too.

gnome-network was refusing to connect to my WIFI at home and I know Wicd
does under Arch so I figured that would be the way for me.