[Wolves] CrunchBang (Ubuntu) Help

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Mar 19 09:44:39 UTC 2009

2009/3/19 dick_turpin <dick_turpin at archlinux.us>:
> OK so I'm using CrunchBang which as the enlightened will know is a
> derivative of Ubuntu. Now I know nothing about Ubuntu or Debian, I
> installed Wicd and apt-get very kindly removed gnome-network and
> gnome-network-manger which in effect meant "No more network" Huzzah!
> Thanks a bunch!

Working as designed. They both have graphical network management
components which are mutually exclusive. The package manager will of
course have informed you of this before you allowed it to happen. :)

> 1. How the hell do I get the daemon to load at start up? To my horror I
> discovered there is no such thing as;
> peter~ chkconfig wicd on

It will startup by default when you boot.

5th hit on google for "wicd and ubuntu":-

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WICD

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WICD "Adding they tray icon"

> gnome-network was refusing to connect to my WIFI at home and I know Wicd
> does under Arch so I figured that would be the way for me.

Yeah, I have a laptop that refuses to connect with NM but WICD works.

Cheers,
Al.