[Wolves] UNR-9.10 This is not a revue

dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Wed Oct 28 10:09:23 UTC 2009

Morning All

So Ubuntu in their infinite wisdom decided it would be a good idea to
disenfranchise the netbook users and not have a .img file so they could
try out the latest offering. A certain world famous Ubuntu tester said
"Oh it was decided that seeing as the tools are on the iso they didn't
bother making .img's for the test releases" Sounds fair enough doesn't
it? Well it would if it was not for the fact that its pigging broken.

So after some help from people who actually know what they are doing :-P
it transpired you need to download unetbootin and use that to create
your .img from the .iso of course all this is academic seeing as its
released tomorrow?

Anyway, question time.

1. In the little envelope at the top (Like you showed us in your talk
Dave) how do I remove Evolution and replace it with Tbird?
2. Seeing as I was not listening during your talk I take it I have to
have the apps (Tbird, Empathy blah blah) open but minimised to get
notifications from the envelope?

No Wifi but after sticking in a cable connection enabled both the
Broadcom firmware and wifi driver (Repeat this once installed)

Once installed I had 615 updates! F'eck me!

I have a crash alert! paging fault on the kernel.
As I don't have a launchpad account (Have an Ubuntu account had it since
08 I think) I've not reported it yet.

I hold my hand up "Praise the Lord" and admit this 9.10 is pretty good
on my Dell Mini 10 seems the mouse is slightly better too for some
reason? Obviously I got the *Brown* off as quickly as possible and now
have a lovely Arch reminiscent blue ;-) TBF looks wise its 100 x better
than 9.04 and I love the dusky shadowy start up screen.

I installed late last night so I've not had time to play around with my
favourite apps such as Gwibber (Need something better by the way)
Lifrea, Tbird blah blah blah.

Am I switching to Ubuntu full time? I doubt it but I will probably keep
the Dell Mini as an Ubuntu machine full time, nice job have a happy
release day.