[Wolves] Advent 4213 sound issue on Ubuntu NBR

Dave Morley davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk
Mon Sep 7 11:04:53 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 11:49 +0100, DragonMaster wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>   I have recently developed an issue with my netbook where the sound has
> stopped working correctly.  Suddenly apps like Audacious would produce
> nothing but noise, although Movie Player (totem?) still works.  If I go
> in and manually change the playback device to OSS I get limitied
> functionality on some apps, but not all.
>
>   The only change to my system I am aware of is the installation of VLC
> and BBC iPlayer, but I can't see these being the culprit...
>
>   Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> DM

 <A_Polite_ranting_request>
Firstly A quick reminder to people firing off requests for help.  Please
add the version of the desktop your using.  I know it's a pain to
remember but it will help everyone else help you :)
 </A_Polite_ranting_request>

Okay so if your running Jaunty as I'm assuming then try killing pulse
audio if that works then one of the apps either vlc or bbc iplayer have
added a config file that is playing up pulse.

If that is the case try removing the apps one at a time and see if the
sound returns to normal again after that.  If it does you successfully
found a bug.  See if it's known on launchpad and file it if it isn't or
subscribe to any bug that has been reported.  This will then inform you
via email if a fix becomes available.

I have a niggling feeling though that you'll find it has something to do
with the backend stuff for bbc iplayer.  (I can't remember the name of
the tech but it's from adobe so unless they fix it (and they don't
respond to bugs) it won't get fixed, how ever there maybe a work round.
--
Seek That Thy Might Know

http://www.davmor2.co.uk