[Wolves] Linux vs Windows 7

Stephen Parkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Mon Sep 7 16:00:07 UTC 2009

2009/9/7 Dave Morley <davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk>:
> On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 15:28 +0100, dick_turpin wrote:
>> Dave Morley wrote:
>> > I'm with Pete to a degree here.
>> >
>> Oh gawd there goes my street cred as a grouch
>>

> Hey anything I can do to upset you Pete you know me ;)

Classic :)

The MS browser thing is about monopolies.   What MS should have done
all along was provide a script to get the latest version of
competitors with a mouse click and a webpage with a comprehensive list
of Windows browsers.   Then it would be about how stupid their
customers are not to install a new browser even when they are offered
it on a plate and not that they don't tell their customers an
alternative is available.

I don't give a toss what other people use these days.   Today (and for
most of the last weeks as it happens) I'm using Windows XP to program.
  The code is pretty platform independant OpenGL stuff written in C++
but as the majority of the users are going to be using Windows (and
because windows makes the more modern bits of OpenGL harder to use
than *nix) this is the system I have to test for.

After years of doing development on Linux, Solaris or OSX and then
finding it was bloody windows that caused all the problems (both web
and desktop apps) made me see the light and do the vast majority of
testing on windows.

My dev tools are still based on GCC though ;)

sparkes

--
Steve 'sparkes' Parkes - blog zx-81.com