[Wolves] Suggestions for use of old Linux box

roundyz at hotmail.ru roundyz at hotmail.ru
Mon Jan 4 11:46:39 UTC 2010

DragonMaster wrote:

>> Totally agree with the non-gui stuff - I use it a good percentage of the
>> time, and it can be really quick to do.  Of course sometimes it is
>> easier to 'point-and-click' as well.
>>
>>   As a result of this thread I've been looking into the freenas distro,
>> and it looks really cool - I'm going to set it up on a spare machine.
>> Has anyone else played much with it - I'm looking to 'host' a load of
>> .iso files of my dvds which a mac-mini will use through Home Theatre
>> (once I buy it of course...) and not sure if I need to do anything other
>> than simply dump the images onto a drive and export the drive via samba...
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> DM
DM,

OT: Iso files tend to be huge, that seems like a huge waste of space. With
extra machines about and multicore processors, it would seem more
practical to store the movies compressed, at a high bitrate.  DVD::Rip
uses transcode clustering; I can do a tv show in around 7 mins (1 pass:6
cores 3ghz each), so movies wouldn't take as long as you thought, unless
you have a shitload of them...

Regards,
Roundyz