[Wolves] Online Storage

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 10 09:49:22 UTC 2010

>I think you need to make some clear distinctions here;

>1. Online storage as per the subject:
>Some sort of backup service. Like most people even most of my customers
>there's a sort of primeval resistance to having your Cornish pasties
>stored in someone else's larder. Even if they promise to look after them
>safely you still have this fear that some low life is going to approach
>them with a jug of gravy.

Which is how I feel.

>Its a really good idea in principle, accessible from anywhere, unlimited
>capacity (If you have a big enough wallet) and safe as in if your office
>burnt down and you use some sort of internal backup solution like tapes
>etc you'd be stuffed. Having said that you could always backup to an
>off-site machine that you owned so its academic.

True. This applies just the same for a normal household. I had to do that once
with some docs and kept them with the in-laws.

>2. Working On-Line:
>I do use Google a lot not only mail but docs as well now of course
>Google are in fact more evil than Microsoft I've been prophesying for
>years that they want to take over the world so with this in mind I
>accept they snoop on my data and activity, thing is if I want to look at
>hornysnails.com and I'm ashamed of someone finding out perhaps I
>shouldn't be looking at it? Which is why I look at dirtyworms.co.uk
>instead. :-)

I am not visiting these websites in case I get Access Denied!!! then I have to explain myself!!
Seriously though, people/companies do all sorts of things with your data.

>I use Dropbox a hell of a lot which in a sense is a combination of
>Working online and Storage, a 'copy' of your data is kept on their
>servers but IMV its a small price to pay and I'm not exactly Barclays
>bank or MI5 and any crook who wanted to steal my identity would end up
>poorer than when he started.

It is an issue though. identity theft/data theft for some of the readers I am writing for
could be quite damaging.

>Summary
>Working On-Line should be the way forward but I cant see it being
>defacto in my life time too many people can find excuses why they simply
>must have a PC and everything to be stored locally. I myself am guilty
>of that too but I do do crazy stuff like use my xbox for
>browsing/connecting to Google so maybe they should bring out a TV with
.Wifi capability (Not that rip off sky or virgin crap) or access to the
>Interweb via your fridge to encourage you to use On-line Storage or work
>On-Line.

I am sure technology will not stop for anyone, and you are probably right. To me it still boils down to the same thing:
if we are not careful we will not be in charge of our data, some may even argue that this is already happening.

Cheers

Mo