[Wolves] Icinga (Nagios)

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Fri May 14 09:51:36 UTC 2010

On 14/05/10 10:40, Peter Cannon wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I've setup up CentOS 5.4 -->  Icinga on one of the boxes Adam Sweet gave
> me here at work. I stuck CentOS on as I really wanted RHEL 5 (Possibly
> 6) but have no money :-(
>
> Icinga is a fork of Nagios the network monitoring system allowing you to
> monitor internal and external equipment. http://www.icinga.org/
>
> Anyway [Ron] I take it to monitor a remote machine I will need the
> remote sites firewall to let me in? Does my firewall need to let them
> in? If the answer is yes to my firewall I'm stuffed. :-(

Normally they work both ways - namely your server can either actively
ping/whatever the server to be monitored, or the server being monitored
can send statistics back ... at least Zabbix works like that.

 From memory, isn't there NPRE (Nagion Plugins Remote Execution??) or
something which allows you to specify certain plugins which can be run
on the client - on demand, remotely by the server?

David.

--
David Goodwin

[ david at codepoets dot co dot uk ]