[Wolves] Clonezilla

Andy Jewell Andy.Jewell at sysmicro.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 11:57:45 UTC 2010

Hi Peter,

If you had trouble formatting the disk again, that suggests a hardware problem to me. Maybe sector zero got spared out?

On Dave's point - yes you *can* format a 200GB disk with FAT32, you just have to use 64k clusters and waste a lot of space on the drive if you have lots of small files. I agree with Dave here - if you have to use the device on both windoze and linux, go for ntfs, otherwise if it's just for linux, go with ext3.

The main thing to bear in mind with FAT32 is the 2GB file-size limit. You can get round this using clonezilla's option to break the image up into <2GB chunks.

The main advantage of clonezilla over bog-standard DD is that it can copy only the sectors that are actually in use, meaning that if you are imaging a fresh install of a system, with only 10% of the disk in use, your backup won't contain most of the 90% of unused sectors. In addition, clonezilla can successfully restore to a disk of different geometry.

Andy D'Arcy Jewell
SysMicro Linux Support

T:  +44 (0) 844 991 8804
M: +44 (0) 7961 605631
F:  +44 (0) 844 357 7020
E:  andy.jewell at sysmicro.co.uk
W: www.sysmicro.co.uk

CRN THE CHANNEL AWARDS 2009 WINNER
SysMicro named CRN’s Editor’s Choice for Emerging Business of the Year 2009, recognising SysMicro for our considerable growth, specifically in Enterprise Solutions.