[Wolves] Advice Please

Andy Jewell Andy.Jewell at sysmicro.co.uk
Fri Jan 14 11:12:49 UTC 2011

Hi Mo,

I've had to deal with something similar - only the other way round. Several of our customers host web-sites, and as the IP Address owner, we got a take-down notice last year. In the event, we liaised with our customer to remove the content in question.

What we received was a threat to serve notice of prosecution for libel/slander (I'm not suggesting you go that heavy right away unless your client wants to do that, and if you do, see a lawyer first!). A simple e-mail explaining your gripe, and stating exactly what needs to be done, and a reasonable deadline within which to do it, sent to the abude email address. Follow it up with a phone-call to the registered phone number in the WHOIS output.

If the soft approach fails, then see a lawyer and escalate from there!

Another pressure point you can push on if necessary is the ISP of the hosting company, if absolutely necessary.

Andy D'Arcy Jewell
SysMicro Linux Support

T:  +44 (0) 844 991 8804
M: +44 (0) 7961 605631
F:  +44 (0) 844 357 7020
E:  andy.jewell at sysmicro.co.uk
W: www.sysmicro.co.uk

CRN THE CHANNEL AWARDS 2009 WINNER
SysMicro named CRN’s Editor’s Choice for Emerging Business of the Year 2009, recognising SysMicro for our considerable growth, specifically in Enterprise Solutions.