[Wolves] Three mobile phone network

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Thu Mar 17 13:33:11 UTC 2011

> I live in a borderline signal area, we're in a bit of a dip as far the
> relief of the land goes. The O2 signal is ok outside and in the lounge,
> but starts to drop out if you move towards the front of the house.
>
> Does anyone here have any advice regarding Three's signal strength and
> support, or perhaps have Three and pass through Coven Heath (WV10) and
> be willing to check their signal strength from around here? Their signal
> strength checker suggests I should be ok, but they always do don't they?

I'm on Three, and have been for 6 months:
- 3G and 2G coverage at home (B35), on major roads and around
Birmingham is superlative. I even swear the 3G dongle had quicker page
load times than my old Tiscali ADSL+Wifi.
- 2G coverage at my parents (NN7, a village outside Northampton 2.9
crow-km from the M1) is off and on, I sometimes get GPRS. Three's
coverage map used to show a weak patch there, now it shows that patch
as shrunk - beginning 2 streets over.
- I found their customer service good enough, better than my
experience of Orange.
- Their account status/web portal pages are annoying but bearable.
- They don't re compress JPEGs, or otherwise 'optimise' web pages like
T-Mobile and Orange did last I tested. This is a very good thing.

I have a spare Three dongle if you'd like to borrow it next Wednesday
as a trial (or before if you're passing Castle Vale/coming to
tonight's Birmingham LUG meet on IPv6).

Alex
--
Alex Willmer <alex at moreati.org.uk>