[Wolves] Newbie questions..

Andy D'Arcy Jewell andy.jewell at sysmicro.co.uk
Sun Apr 1 09:40:03 UTC 2012

On 01/04/12 05:59, Ravinder Verma wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2012 5:05 AM, "Ravinder Verma" <r.v3rma at gmail.com
> <mailto:r.v3rma at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > So, what you all seem to be saying is shut up and play around with
> Linux. Once you have a bit more experience/knowledge, ask pertinent
> questions about a specific topic.
> >
> > I think its a fair point.
> >
> > The thing is, i don't get
>
> The thing is, i don't know how to finish an email before sending
> it...  :-)
>
> Thanks for the responses to my questions, and i shall 'play' with
> Linux and see how i get on.
>
> To answer an earlier question, i intend to use Linux as an every day
> machine and my specific project will be to set up a file server for my
> media files.
>
> I'm now going to go sit in a corner, away from my computer to reflect
> on my behaviour thus far... LOL
>
> Seriously though, thanks for the responses to my questions..

Don't mind Peter, he's renowned as the LUG curmudgeon!

But with regard to learning Linux, there is no "correct way" - apart
from, from each individual's perspective, probably the way *they* did it!

In the end you've got to plot your own course - but having a specific
project will make it more enjoyable, and if you're like me, you'll find
it easier to learn things when you know they have a use, or carry you
forward towards your goal!

A media server is quite a good choice because it's a *bit* technical,
and you'll get some long-lasting, concrete results at the end. A hint
here is that there are plenty of "howto" docs on the web that give you
all the steps to achieve certain set-ups. You can follow one of them
blindly, or you can investigate each command or configuration setting
one at a time to find out what they do, of course bearing in mind that
there are some malicious ones out there, so the latter is really the
only sane route!

We're always here on the list to help out/advise/bitch about the best
way....

;-D

--
Andy D'Arcy Jewell