[Wolves] Feedback From First Time Attendee

Wayne Morris waynelists at machx.co.uk
Fri Feb 10 10:44:53 UTC 2012

On 09/02/2012 21:16, Kevanf1 wrote:
> Well, I could have said that about my first (and only) LUG meeting.
> Trouble is I wouldn't joking... I don't mean that in a nasty way
> though I have a condition that has only very recently been diagnosed
> and has explained many things in my life. I just don't do new people
> meeting very well...

I came to a couple way back when I was trying to learn Linux and like
any new group it was a bit intimidating at first with so many 'strange'
people ;-)
That said, I was made to feel very welcome, very quickly and would have
attended more if I hadn't had other commitments on - the fact I'm still
on the mailing list
after so many years when I rarely touch anything other than a bit of php
now ... perfect addiction support group ;-)

That said what I might suggest for future newbies is that you formalize
the 'first meeting' bit by assigning them a personal 'host' for the
night, they'll chaperone you
through the intros, keep you involved in the conversations, find out
what you want from the group etc.
We do it with my scuba club and it means that the newbie isn't sat like
a lemon whilst the gang all chit chat about something alien to them.

regards

Wayne