[Wolves] In other news

Chris Ellis chris.ellis.intrbiz at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 9 15:11:06 UTC 2012

On 9 January 2012 14:34, Claire <lug at sitesearcher.co.uk> wrote:

>>>       1. Chris Ellis (Sorry chaps, far to much on this week . in
>>> other news, looks like Mandriva close next week)
>>>
>>> No surely not.....Say it's not so!  Well at least not again!
>>

>> Yup, its looking that way.  One shareholder (42% of shares) is
>> refusing a recapitalisation of Mandriva SA.  The Mandriva SA CEO,
>> wrote to the shareholders, stating he will file for bankruptcy on 16th
>> Jan, if a plan is not aggreed.
>>
>> To make matters more fun, the second shareholder has offered to fund
>> the required capital itself.
>>
>> Essentially, the shareholder is refusing as they want to extract as
>> much of their initial capital as they can.
>>
>> Its a shame, as Mandriva has just managed to sign some deals in Russia
>> and with Brazil's ministry of Education.
>>
>> Either way, power to the community.  Magiea is now in the DistroWatch top
>> ten!
>>

> I think it'll be a great shame if Mandriva does go. I used it for years
> until Mageia came about. It was never the same after Adam Williamson left
> and when most of the names I recognised went too I thought it best to follow
> them.

Indeed

> I now do QA for Mageia so I hope if Mandriva does really go the way of the
> dodo then people will naturally drift across. I know they would certainly be
> welcomed, bar any personal grudges.

I really wanted to get more involved with Mageia, just not had the
time yet.  I think most of the users moved to Mageia anyway.

> I heard that Rosa Labs have forked it now at MDV 2011, is there any truth to
> that?

Yes, a new distro 'Rosa' is on DistroWatch.  Rosa, is the Russian
firm, which is the other shareholder offering to fund Mandriva.

I think essentially, the minor (long term) shareholder wants to force
the takeover of Mandriva SA, inorder to extract its capital.

But its not the first time Mandriva have been on the ropes, we will
find out for sure on Monday.