[Wolves] Data lost due to wrong partition file system while installing ubuntu

Parminder Chauhan parminder at balpreet.com
Sun Jan 15 15:36:35 UTC 2012

Dear all

Last week I had to reinstall operating system to one of my relative's
computer. I thought it will be fine as home is mounted on different
partition.

While installing ubuntu I chose data partition as /home.

I think there I made a fatal  mistake. I chose file system as ext3. To my
shock there was not any old data at /home.

Previous file system may be ext2 as old system I installed was 3 years ago.

Is there any way to get old data back?

If I change ext2 in fstab, would it make worse or there is a chance to get
old /home back?

Parminder Singh Chauhan