[Wolves] Help me test my vegan recipes web-site, please

Andy D'Arcy Jewell andy.jewell at sysmicro.co.uk
Tue Jul 17 14:37:50 UTC 2012

On 17/07/12 14:45, Stephen Parkes wrote:
> On 17 Jul 2012, at 14:34, Andy D'Arcy Jewell wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> If anyone would like to help me test http://www.recipesforvegans.co.uk I'd appreciate it!
>>

> np
>
>> I'm interested in feedback on:
>>     * Responsiveness
> shit off a shovel, from BT Business Broadband here in the midlands.
>
>>     * Usability
> clean and concise, wait for the new stylesheets and the usability errors come pouring in.
>
>>     * Functionality (does it work as expected and without errors?)
> everything worlds as expected.  I browsed with no problems.  I searched for a word, I restricted that search to just the whole word (nut in your logs) and I searched for multiple words in both any and all mode and everything worked as expected.
>
> One functional usability suggestion.  The ability to search by ingredient as often when you are looking for recipes it's what you have to hand that you want to search on and indeed Nick Holzheer got his latest enterprise fully funded for dot com bubble kind of cash and that's pretty much his business plan.  :)
>
> sparkes
Thanks, Steve!

There is a lot more functionality planned, but development is likely to
be lumpy and slow due to family commitments and general "life with young
kids"!

I have already partially written some more "browse modes". In order to
do "by ingredient" I have to put in extra processing to parse the
recipes more on insertion - there's a lot of "history" here as I got the
database data by screen-scraping my wife's original, dreamweaver/hand
coded static site, several years ago. We have since lost the original
html source-code and of course don't have dreamweaver anymore either...
so suffice it to say it's a rather flat data format with very few
columns, and the recipe is just a blob of text.

The plan is to parse out various bits and pieces, including the
ingredients etc. and index on them. I have a plan, but not much more as yet!

A planned feature is you input a list of available ingredients, and it
displays all the recipes you could make with it, but that's "far future"
from this perspective!

:-D

-andy

--