[Wolves] Help me test my vegan recipes web-site, please

Andy D'Arcy Jewell andy.jewell at sysmicro.co.uk
Wed Jul 18 07:38:32 UTC 2012

Hi mister Morley!
> Okay so one thing I expected from a recipe site is a basic breakdown
> for Starter/Mains/Deserts and then an alphabetical browse under those
> categories.
That's in the works. Browsing will be possible by Ingredient, Tag and
Category. I just haven't written it yet!

> You're missing the Easter egg for beef/lamb/pork/chicken of "Meat!
> Meat! we don't need your stinking meat!" :D
Maybe I'll put in a spoof recipe to highlight the health problems
associated with eating dead animals :-J
> As a background a nice menu on a table type image would be cool.  But
> I like the plain part for the text it makes it more readable.
That's up to the web designer (i.e. the misses). "Not my department"!
I'll pass it on.
> Functionality wise everything seems to work
Cool. ! 4m 5o 1337!
> Aesthetically you should have an image for everything it helps people
> decide, Honest :)
I assume you mean like an icon for each navbar item? Most of the recipes
already have a photo. I'll pass this onto the web design department...
> Last 2 things you might want to think about:
> 1. An account create so other people can add recipes or a contact us
> for them to mail one to you for you to try and add
We may do this, but don't want it to become an exercise in moderating
spam and trolls, so I have to figure out a way to do it that makes that
part easier to do.
> 2. Comments/ratings that way people can say which are great and which
> not so that way you can then add a favourite section too (but that
> might be for release 2)

More like release 3 ;-)

The main idea behind the architecture is to keep it as cheap as possible
(in terms of money and time) to run... that's why it runs on a € 7.72
per month virtual server (256MB RAM, 10GB HDD), and currently pages for
"normal" users do not do anything that writes to the backend database,
so I can use SQLite as the database. SQLite is brilliant for speed and
memory usage (the main pressure). If I eventually add these sort of
facilities - if the site proves popular enough to warrant it - I'll have
to add a PostgreSQL server into the mix for its higher concurrency
performance, , and won't be able to stick with 256MB anymore, probably
have a second VM just for the DB. I've tested using Apache+PostgreSQL in
256MB and it's not pretty once you start doing anything more than a
trivial number of page impressions...

Regards,
-Andy

--