[Wolves] OpenVPN under Ubuntu on both its server & client

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Wed Apr 16 16:40:33 UTC 2014

On 15/04/14 13:09, John Rose wrote:
> Chris,
>
> I don't know what a Roku streaming box is let alone have one. The only
> thing that I can think of that might cause this is that I have installed
> Plex Media Server in order to play single video files from my
> laptop/desktop to my new Sony TV. I've given the TV a fixed ip address
> on my home network (i.e. configured my router). I haven't had any
> success yet with Plex as it doesn't even want to see my home Videos
> folder even though it has permsissions for Others to access it & files
> on it have Others' read access. I've tried using minidlna & failed with
> it. Any ideas for another ap to do this job?

I've used minidlna successfully, but not with a TV. As far as I
understand, some TVs can be pretty fussy. Googling for problems with
minidlna (a year ago so I can't remember the specifics) turned up some
config options that can assist with handling TVs from various
manufacturers. Doing the same might help you with minidlna at least. I
know Dave Morley runs Mediatomb, so you might try that too.

About a year ago, I stayed up til 5am trying to set up minidlna on
Ubuntu, (I started at 23:30) and couldn't get it working. I spent
another 4 hours the next day, including downloading it from the upstream
author's website before giving up.

6 months later I upgraded to the next Ubuntu release, then a month or
two later decided to have another go at minidlna and it just worked out
of the box after I'd pointed it at media. Still no idea what the problem
was, but I can only assume a software bug. It's worked for me since
Ubuntu 13.10.

Regards,

Adam Sweet

--