[Wolves] OpenVPN under Ubuntu on both its server & client

John Rose john.aaron.rose at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 16:49:40 UTC 2014

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04. I don't like using STS releases. I'll upgrade to
14.04.

I've now been able to get Plex to see a /TV folder (with me as the
owner) & its contents. It looks like there's a bug in Plex preventing it
seeing the Videos folder setup by Ubuntu in my home folder. I was
'corresponding' with someone on Ubuntu Forums about playing video from a
PC to a TV. He recommended Plex. To play a video 'monitored' by PLex, he
said:
"For example, I have a plex server and a number of DLNA client devices
and DLNA "renderers". Often, the "client" and the "renderer" are the
same - like Android or WDTV or Roku or Chromecast devices. Using the
WDTV, when I ask it to connect to a "media server", it shows a list
available on the LAN, I select "Plex-something" and it shows a
pseudo-menu with Video, Music and Photos. I select Video and it displays
Movies, Adult, Videos, Home, and TV. Each of those have been specified
in the Plex web GUI as "video" content folders. You probably just want
"videos" if there isn't IMDB metadata you want. TV, Movies **must** be
separate and content that won't have metadata needs to be separate.

So ... any DLNA client should "see" the plex server on the network. No
authentication needed. The chromecast is the only device that I have
which DOES NOT act like a DLNA client - it is just a "renderer" capable
of being "streamed at" from a client.

The Plex web interface doesn't let you "stream at" your TV/media player,
at least mine doesn't. My TVs are not networked - all I need is for the
damn TV to be hit with a virus and never patched again. "

I have no idea from the above what to do in order to play a video from a
PC to a TV!

Regards,
John