[Wolves] Xorg Config help, please?

Chris Ellis chris at intrbiz.com
Fri Jun 6 15:25:50 UTC 2014

Hi Simon

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM, Simon Burke <simonb at fatsportsman.eu> wrote:

> So my work machine has Debian Jessie installed.
>
> Im trying to get X to play nicely. My set up is two graphics cards (well
> one and the onboard) and three identical monitors.
>
> The first is an Nvidia with two monitors connected via DVI. The other is a
> cr*ppy onboard intel thing with the third monitor.
>
> I have it working fine with Xinerama, but of this then causes issues with
> Gnome due to randr not playing nice with Xinerama. I.e. it complains that
> 'Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0"'.
>
> So can someone give me some guidance as to how I can achieve the same
> thing without xinerama? if its possible?
>
> My Xorg.conf I chucked on pastebin here: http://pastebin.com/b3dVckRF
>
> Its also worth mentioning that X does not even start if I switch from the
> nvidia driver to  nouveau. I will have to go and do that again to be able
> to tell you what the error message was though. Looking at my Xorg.log files
> I think it may have been "Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible
> NVIDIA X driver not found)".
>
> Any suggestions please?
>
> Thanks.
> Simon.

The Nvidia driver has twinview, which provides its own Xinerama extension.
When doing dual monitors I've found using Nvidia twinview to be
the most reliable and you end up with GLX on both monitors.  I've found
ATI's equivalent of twinview to be ok.  I'm sad to say that you might
want to just use two monitors or get an Nvidia card with 3 outputs or get 2
Nvidia cards.

I think you can use Nvidia twinview across two cards.

My desktop is a single Nvidia card with two monitors, and contains the
following magic lines:

    Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
    Option "TwinView" "1"
    Option "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, CRT-1:
nvidia-auto-select +1680+0"

Chris