[Wolves] Xorg Config help, please?

Simon Burke simonb at fatsportsman.eu
Fri Jun 6 15:54:49 UTC 2014

Hi Chris

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 4:25 PM, Chris Ellis <chris at intrbiz.com> wrote:

> Hi Simon
>

> On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM, Simon Burke <simonb at fatsportsman.eu>
> wrote:
>

>> Im trying to get X to play nicely. My set up is two graphics cards (well
>> one and the onboard) and three identical monitors.
>>
>> The first is an Nvidia with two monitors connected via DVI. The other is
>> a cr*ppy onboard intel thing with the third monitor.
>>
>> I have it working fine with Xinerama, but of this then causes issues with
>> Gnome due to randr not playing nice with Xinerama. I.e. it complains that
>> 'Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0"'.
>>
>> My Xorg.conf I chucked on pastebin here: http://pastebin.com/b3dVckRF
>>

> The Nvidia driver has twinview, which provides its own Xinerama
> extension.  When doing dual monitors I've found using Nvidia twinview to be
> the most reliable and you end up with GLX on both monitors.  I've found
> ATI's equivalent of twinview to be ok.  I'm sad to say that you might
> want to just use two monitors or get an Nvidia card with 3 outputs or get
> 2 Nvidia cards.
>
> I think you can use Nvidia twinview across two cards.
>
> My desktop is a single Nvidia card with two monitors, and contains the
> following magic lines:
>
>     Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
>     Option "TwinView" "1"
>     Option "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, CRT-1:
> nvidia-auto-select +1680+0"

I have just tried it again with Xinerama off and using twin view. I've got
something but still not 100% there. I now get a separate DE/WM session per
monitor. RandR does work but running it in any of the three sessions, it
can only see it's respective monitor.

Im going to RTFM a bit here and do some googlefu, as I've made progress.
Cheers.

Simon.