[Wolves] dd usage?

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 11:37:31 UTC 2014

I haven't got around to the next stage yet...  As in actually trying
out the dd command.  My back has decided to play up again so at the
moment I'm having to take things a bit easy.  Once it's cleared up I
can get out to my workshop and play again :)

John, I see your point in using Clonezilla and I did think about going
down that route.  However, it goes against my wish to get to grips
with the cli more so, even though it would make sense to use
Clonezilla for overall ease of use I want to stick with dd just for
now.  I shall probably use Clonezilla in the future when I'm
rushed....  possibly.

On 10 June 2014 10:25, John Green <illskills1982 at gmail.com> wrote:
> if = input file system
> of = output file system
>
> if i remember correctly ... just type man dd or dd --help and check dd is
> cool but i prefer using clonezilla saves having the OS loaded when I clone
> it
>

> On 4 June 2014 15:59, Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I would like to clone a system (Fedora 20 if it upgrades successfully
>> from 19) and put the lot onto a larger hdd.  I think the command I
>> want is
>>
>> dd if=sda1 of=sdb1
>>
>> sda1 being the origin drive and sdb1 being the output drive.  If the
>> references are different then they will be altered accordingly but I
>> believe they are conventionally named drives.
>>
>> There are no fancy partition layouts here.  I just banged the lot on
>> into one partition (it was an old 20gb drive).  It does not have LVM
>> or anything like that.  The intended new drive will probably be either
>> a 60gb or 80gb eide pata drive similar to the original (just larger).
>>
>> I think I shall do all of this using a live cd.  Is this a good idea?
>> With the output going to a larger drive I assume I'm going to need to
>> use something like gparted to expand some of the folders?
>>
>> Would I need to make any alterations or reinstalls of grub if done
>> this way?  Or it is carried over to the new drive together with the
>> original system?
>>
>> I'm doing it this way instead of using something like Clonezilla
>> because I am trying to get a grip on using the cli instead of always
>> using a gui solution.  I'm actually finding it rather pleasing :)
>>
>> --
>>
>> Kevan
>> Linux user #373362
>> Staffordshire