[Wolves] Roku & Zotac

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon May 12 10:57:26 UTC 2014

On 12 May 2014 11:45, John Rose <john.aaron.rose at gmail.com> wrote:
> Kevan,
>
> Thanks for the info. I don't want to use Plex or other web-based app as I
> don't want to give access to my PCs to any external organisation and because
> I don't want to buy a device which is accessible externally. Also, I'm quite
> happy to use our laptop to stream to a box connected to my TV). I decided to
> take a risk and buy a cheap Zotac Stream Box. I hope that it works with
> Universal Media Server (my preference) / minidlna (Canonical say that they
> have committed a fix to put minidlna back into Trusty's repos) and my Sony
> non-smart TV. I'll let you know how I get on.

Ah, I'm assuming then, that 'minidlna' is a lightweight media server?
I honestly had not heard of any of these prior to you mentioning them
and I am very interested in giving them a go.  My goal is to use as
light a weight distro as possible on an old machine to give decent
performance (streaming wise) on the tv.  I don't have a smart tv as I
had to buy this present one just
 before they came out :(  It was a case of buy a tv or go without
until they came down in price...  This was a bargain at the time at
£900 for a 42" plasma.  I have had it for about 4 or 5 years now.

Anyway, back to the experiments.  I'm thinking of trying a bare bones
install of Debian, adding a lightweight GUI and nothing else apart
from a media server and its dependencies (I found I needed the avahi
daemon to run Plex on Lubuntu because I'm not grabbing it from a
repository).  I'm certainly finally starting to learn more about Linux
by doing this after all these years :)  I'm ashamed to admit that even
though I first installed and used Linux back in 1997 (Corel Linux
anybody?) I still shy away from the CLI and do not know even a tiny
amount of what I should.  I'll get there..

Kevan
Linux user #373362
Staffordshire