[Wolves] what the difference between install with apt-get and downloading binary install

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 10:36:20 UTC 2015

At one time doing an install with 'apt-get' meant that your system was
able to monitor what was actually being installed which made it easier
to remove it later of course.  Doing a binary install meant you were
left to do it all yourself including sometimes/most of the time where
the package installed.  Now, most distro's will be intelligent enough
to recognise that you want to install a package outside of the
standard installer and will invoke a suitable program to do the work
for you.

Now that is a very light version.  There is also the problem of linked
libraries that your package may need which apt normally will fetch at
the same time.  by installing yourself you need to ensure you have all
dependencies in place.  Again, a very light explanation.

Most packages (programs) are available through either a software
manager or synaptic (my preference) on the vast majority of distro's
especially if you are new to Linux.  I cannot remember the last time I
had to manually install a program but it must be something like 10 to
15 years ago.  Some still prefer to do it this way as you do have more
control over what goes where.

On 24 December 2015 at 08:11, David Goodwin <david at codepoets.co.uk> wrote:

> On 23/12/2015 21:16, Mark Croft Redditch Linux Mint wrote:
>>
>> i have come from windows background so i do not fully understand how
>> linux mint/ubuntu installs software looks a lot more secure and
>> professional then some windows installer i have seen in the past.
>>

> Not answering your actual quesiton, but ...
>
> Windows apparently has 'chocolatey' - https://chocolatey.org/ - which is
> perhaps a step in the right direction.
>
> David.

Kevan