[Wolves] what the difference between install with apt-get and downloading binary install

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 10:39:46 UTC 2015

On 24 December 2015 at 10:35, Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Most packages (programs) are available through either a software
> manager or synaptic (my preference) on the vast majority of distro's
> especially if you are new to Linux.  I cannot remember the last time I
> had to manually install a program but it must be something like 10 to
> 15 years ago.  Some still prefer to do it this way as you do have more
> control over what goes where.

Doh!!!  sorry, what I should have said is that apt is 'normally' a
Debian or Debian derivative way of installing packages.  I think there
are a few none Deb distro's that have adopted apt (or synaptic from a
GUI).  Red Hat/Fedora based distro's use RPM (Red Hat Package Manager)
I can't remember what the others use as I've been using Mint for a few
years now.
> --
>
> Kevan
> Linux user #373362