[Wolves] ubuntu on windows

Peter Cannon dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Fri Apr 1 13:13:39 UTC 2016

On 01/04/16 13:32, Stephen Parkes wrote:
> On 1 April 2016 at 13:09, Peter Cannon <dick_turpin at archlinux.us> wrote:
>
>> On 01/04/16 10:39, Alan Pope wrote:
>>

>>> Love, Microsoft and Canonical. ♥
>>
>> I'll archive that Alan for when your payslips are stamped Microsoft then
>> dig out all the stuff you said about them in 2004 :-D
>>

> No comments about Mono, Xamarin or Red Hat today Pete?
>
> Now Xamarin are part of MS the software side of their business has been
> made open source including the bits that used to cost a grand a year and
> Red Hat has joined the .net body as part of a big push to get us all using
> .net languages.

As per usual you all miss the point.

“Most people do not (listen) read with the intent to understand; they (listen) read with the intent to reply.” ― Stephen R. Covey

I'm glad FOSS apps are being ported, used, implemented, configured, created, developed and any other term you're comfortable with, to run on Windows. I have been a lone voice for 15 years in saying that we should be trying to get FOSS onto Windows.

Ubuntu had Microsoft listed as bug number one for years and many Ubuntu users vented their venom at Microsoft on a daily basis, now suddenly the hypocrites are all "Ooh look how successful we are now our names on Windows 10" Strikes me I'm beginning to be the last one left who has stuck by what they've said over the last 15 years.

What I despise is claims that sed. awk, and grep are Ubuntu simply because they are in the Ubuntu repo's they're not. Are you trying to tell me Thunderbird, Libre Office and Gimp are Ubuntu because they they're in the Ubuntu repos? Less brave or informed people might fall for that outrageous claim I do not.

So to educate those who do not know, and would fall for the 'Tarring with the same brush' trick, Red Hat actually does not base their business around and OS and has not done that since 1999, Red Hat is a support company that just so happens to have an Operating System. They pay little attention to their Red Hat Workstation offering (There's Fedora for that anyway) but do work on their Enterprise (Server) edition, but again this is purely geared towards instigating a support contract rather than selling an OS for profit. Red Hat support covers a broad spectrum, everything from Linux, FOSS to Microsoft. In fact some of their biggest contracts are Windows related.

So to reiterate, Huzzah for FOSS coming to Windows. And as for the other stuff more fool you for being gullible or too scared to speak up.

--
Regards
Peter Cannon

IRC: dick_turpin @ freenode.net
https://twitter.com/dick_turpin
http://www.cannon-linux.co.uk
https://plus.google.com/100694334141523232451/posts
Podcast: http://tdtrs.co.uk

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."