[Wolves] ubuntu on windows

Stephen Parkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Fri Apr 1 13:36:56 UTC 2016

On 1 April 2016 at 14:13, Peter Cannon <dick_turpin at archlinux.us> wrote:

> On 01/04/16 13:32, Stephen Parkes wrote:

> >> I'll archive that Alan for when your payslips are stamped Microsoft then
> >> dig out all the stuff you said about them in 2004 :-D
> >>

> > No comments about Mono, Xamarin or Red Hat today Pete?
> >
> > Now Xamarin are part of MS the software side of their business has been
> > made open source including the bits that used to cost a grand a year and
> > Red Hat has joined the .net body as part of a big push to get us all
> using
> > .net languages.
>
> As per usual you all miss the point.

As usual the only one to get the point is Peter ;)

> What I despise is claims that sed. awk, and grep are Ubuntu simply because
> they are in the Ubuntu repo's they're not. Are you trying to tell me
> Thunderbird, Libre Office and Gimp are Ubuntu because they they're in the
> Ubuntu repos? Less brave or informed people might fall for that outrageous
> claim I do not.

lol, that's not what's being claimed.  I don't think you understand the
work that went on to build the various bits and pieces to make this work
from both MS and Cannonical.

It's not the tools that run on top of the new stuff that are important it's
the new stuff and Cannonical employee's were part of that effort.

All these announcements came out of BUILD.  They are aimed at people like
me who develop for multiple systems and often end up using bits and pieces
of tools outside of their natural environment that sometimes requires a bit
of hacking to even get to work.

Now we can all develop for iOS and Mac and run binaries compiled against
one of the most common unixlike operating system distro's on the planet
from the development environment MS would prefer us to use for no extra
cost.  For many people and small businesses for no cost at all.

The windows machine I'm using now (at work) is currently set up to build
for 30+ different bits of kit from arcade cabinets with four screens
running high end graphics cards on windows to phones and one of running 10+
operating systems. I counted all windows, all linux and all android as one
each here to simplify things.

The project currently open runs on 4 plus different cabinets running
windows with between two and four screens of different resolutions and a
tablet computer platform all based on win32 but with very different specs
and requirements.  That's just the UK market for a game that's going into
bookies.  If it get's picked up abroad then there are a dozen or more other
systems it will need to be tested on.

It's people who do this sort of work these announcements are for which is
why they are being made at the developer conference and not to the salesmen
gathered somewhere else.  ;)

sparkes