[Wolves] Microsoft SQL Announcement

Peter Cannon dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Tue Mar 8 09:55:09 UTC 2016

On 08/03/16 09:04, Simon Burke wrote:
> Morning all,
>
> So it appears that Microsoft announced yesterday that they are developing a
> version of SQL server for Linux, based on SQL server 2016.
>
> http://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2016/03/07/announcing-sql-server-on-linux/
>
> I honestly say that I have mixed emotions on this. Microsoft has been
> working with Linux for quite a while now, I believe they even contributed
> some stuff to the kernel, but AFAIK it was related to Hyper-V (and for the
> record Ubuntu stock kernel on HyperV + VSS = bad times).
>
> I'm intrigued as to the license costs that would be involved with this, as
> well as their game plan. There are plugins for Ruby, Python, Node, and ODBC
> yet I was under the impression that they are trying to get into the big
> data market.
>
> Either way it should be interesting to look at when it becomes available.

They have been Open Sourcing a lot recently, admittedly it's old stuff like .net framework and they do have a Github presence https://microsoft.github.io/

Personally, it makes absolute sense to me and an acknowledgement that Linux is a valid competitor to their platform. There are many websites for example, that are running on IIS servers with SQL as the backend so possibly they are hoping for smooth migrations back to IIS or vice versa. Obviously there are numerous situations that an SQL db can be used with, maybe they're hoping there's a revenue stream for them in an OSS project?

Personally I've always been a big fan of multi platform software, not necessarily the actual software but the fact there's the FREEDOM to use what you like on what you want..

--
Regards
Peter Cannon

IRC: dick_turpin @ freenode.net
https://twitter.com/dick_turpin
http://www.cannon-linux.co.uk
https://plus.google.com/100694334141523232451/posts
Podcast: http://tdtrs.co.uk

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."