[Wolves] Bandwidth metering.

Simon Burke simon at samandsimon.co.uk
Thu Dec 6 09:30:17 UTC 2018

Hi,

S'me again.

At the moment, considering how big we are. I finally talked it through with
a rubber duck (in a similar vein as:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_duck_debugging ), and came to
conclusion that this might not be best tackled with a overly technical
solutions.

The most practical way I can think of at this current time, is to simply
just automate notification of customers and their account manager when set
thresholds/percentages of transfer is reached, and deal with it manually
from there. If I wanted to I could then script something together to
throttle the customer down once 105/110% is reached.

As we're not talking about a huge number of clients, this will work until
we do. At that point, we'll have to look at upgrading our infrastructure
anyway*, and I can re-visit automating the entire process.

*= I'm already aware that any further increase of bandwidth would require
replacing our pfsense boxes with something higher spec'ed . Oddly the PCI
bus is the limiting factor at this point (8 ports effectively on the same
PCIe card).

Cheers.