[Wolves] Geeky Christmas Presents

Adam Sweet adamsweet at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 17:51:52 UTC 2018

On 11/12/2018 13:30, Stephen Parkes wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 at 13:11, Adam Sweet via Wolves
> <wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk <mailto:wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/12/2018 21:48, Stephen Parkes via Wolves wrote:
>
>     > PS.
>     > I've only had 5 NodeLua, 5 digispark attiny boards, a board to
>     control 16
>     > servos over i2c, 2 mp3 player Arduino modules and a few odds and sods
>     > delivered in the last few weeks with a couple of TFT screens and 5
>     > Arduino   pro mini's in the post so I think the lady of the house
>     is being
>     > a bit unreasonable in suggesting I have developed a problem in
>     ordering
>     > random shit from China because I have a half baked idea driving
>     home from
>     > work ;)
>
>     Haha bless her, she must love you. I recall you telling me similar
>     stories when we swapped the alpha server for a pair of 486 laptops about
>     15 years ago.
>
> One was a faulty soldering iron and dodgy lead free solder cooking it,
> another was attaching a 5v logic device which I thought was 3.3v and I
> forget what killed the third but I did have to be a bit sneaky about
> buying the replacement time and had it delivered to work ;)

Yeah, I'm a real noob about electronics, I'm going to have to be careful
about voltages myself.

You're not alone in being careful about when things are delivered ;)

> All of them have been for a camera I want to set up and take pictures of
> the sky night and day which are then converted to a video and uploaded
> to youtube everyday.  The project is about a year old and the current
> version is sitting in a tupperware tub in the garden untouched for at
> least 6 months because I've started dozens of other interesting projects
> since.
>
> This was the first test of it last April just thrown on the green bin in
> the garden.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D02jt5SpeBU

 That was really interesting actually, a good reminder that we're just
specs of dust surrounded by a moody, ever changing atmosphere. Was that
more or less dawn to dusk?

Ad