[Wolves] Distros and Desktops

Richard Barker rtbarker2004 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 09:55:31 UTC 2018

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018, 6:17 pm Adam Sweet via Wolves, <
wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I've been using Ubuntu as my every day home and work OS all the way back
> since Warty. Before that I used KDE 3 on Debian, before that it was KDE
> 2 and 3 on Mandrake Linux :O
>
> I started becoming disenchanted with Ubuntu after the move back from
> Unity to GNOME, I find GNOME 3 so much less usable than Unity.
>
> I have a laptop with Intel and NVIDIA GPUs and since upgrading to 18.04,
> I've had trouble using external monitors/projectors on my laptop.
> Despite spending an afternoon ensuring it would work and testing twice
> in advance, it failed me in front of a customer, I didn't have time to
> spend figuring it out and I had to use Windows to run a training course.
> I've never had Ubuntu fail me like that before, but that's a side point.
>
> I'm intending to reinstall my laptop from scratch and with the Ubuntu
> 18.10 release a few days away and no need for my it in the short term,
> I've decided to test drive a few other distros and desktops, since it's
> been a very long time since I did, like Ubuntu MATE, Mint, KDE Neon,
> Elementary OS and OpenSUSE etc.
>
> This led me to wonder what distros and desktops you lot are using these
> days and which others you're interested in.
>
> Additionally, KDE people, what's great in KDE that you don't get in
> other desktops (aside from endless customisation)?
>
> Adam
>
> --

<delurk>

I tend to wander between Debian Stable and Ubuntu LTS on my desktop,
laptop, and netbook. On my Pi, I stick to Raspbian.

I used OpenSuse for a little while but ran into issues with NVidia, this
seems to be a thing for me with KDE. I've tried Fedora, but couldn't get
all the software I wanted as easily as I could on Ubuntu, and to be honest
I preferred Unity to Gnome.

I've found that when I try to move away from Debian based distros, I
usually run into some issue or another. So I tend to remain within the
Debian family tree.

I'm thinking of trying LineageOS on my tablet and eventually my phone,
because I'm starting to dislike Google. But my growing distrust of the big
G and social media is another subject.

Rich.

</delurk>