[Wolves] Distros and Desktops

Adam Sweet adamsweet at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 16:49:43 UTC 2018

On 18/10/2018 09:10, Simon Burke via Wolves wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 at 18:17 Adam Sweet via Wolves <
> wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> This led me to wonder what distros and desktops you lot are using these
>> days and which others you're interested in.
>
> I've been a long term user of Debian for around a decade now. Historically
> been using it on everything. But I've come across issues like the one
> you've had more often than I should admit.

Yes, love Debian for servers, haven't used it as a desktop in almost 10
years at a former work place and it was fine though the installation was
a bit of a botch by a previous employee and I wasn't allow to reinstall it.

> Most recently trying to get a Nvidia Quadro card to output to three
> monitors, when the card presents itself as two separate cards with two
> outputs each. I managed it in the end but I had to use the nv driver,
> enable xinerama, and somehow lost 3d acceleration and RandR as a result.
>
> I think we all have periods of distro hopping, I had mine a few months ago,
> and somehow find myself liking the new Slackware release, and Manjaro.

Never tried Slackware actually, nor any of the Arch family. I should
have done by now.

> In terms of desktop, I either user AwesomeWM or LXDE, purely because I like
> it to be resource light and fairly minimal. Though I do like KDE5, I just
> couldn't use it much due to graphics-cards issues.

I quite like LXDE on low end stuff, though I hear they're trying to get
away from the low resource pigeonhole. Never heard of AwesomeWM, though
looking at screenshots it looks a bit too minimalist for me. Reminds me
of the kind of thing your brother would like :)

Ad