[Wolves] Logging onto a Linux machine.

Adam Sweet adamsweet at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 14:22:06 UTC 2019

On 24/04/2019 02:21, Mark Ellse via Wolves wrote:
> On 22/04/2019 02:51, Mark Ellse via Wolves wrote:
>
>>> I've recently built a Linux Mint machine for a second backup server.
>> Samba
>>> installs by sharing a folder. Guest access, if I set it, works: so
>> sharing
>>> is working. But user access only won't work because it won't give access
>> if
>>> I to a given username and password and I've checked with creating another
>>> user "username" and "password".

> It occurs to me again that I am probably not using the full username when
> logging on. Is that possible? The computer name is bu. The user name is
> mark. Should I be using something like /bu/mark?

I think if there's only one workgroup or domain the server will assume
you intended the one it has configured but you could try the full
username workgroup/mark, without a leading /, replacing workgroup with
the workgroup or domain name you have configured. You could also try
bu/mark.

The fileshare resource name (or UNC path) would be //bu/sharetest.

> Further to the questions you raise, samb -V returns:
>
> mark at bu:~$ samba -V
> Version 4.7.6-Ubuntu
>
> The log file in /var gives this:
>
> [2019/04/24 01:42:50.127351,  0]
> ../source3/param/loadparm.c:3350(process_usershare_file)
>   process_usershare_file: stat of /var/lib/samba/usershares/sharetest
> failed. Permission denied
> [2019/04/24 01:43:29.390587,  0]
> ../source3/param/loadparm.c:3350(process_usershare_file)
>   process_usershare_file: stat of /var/lib/samba/usershares/sharetest
> failed. Permission denied

I'm not sure if this means Samba can't access these files to be able to
serve them or if it means the user account you're trying doesn't have
permissions. Based on the suggestion by David Jackson, it seems likely
to be latter, but if creating Samba users with smbpasswd doesn't solve
that issue, run the following and we can look at permissions:

ls -ld /var/lib/samba/usershares
ls -l /var/lib/samba/usershares

> I have, by the way, re-enabled SMBv1 in Windows. That was knocked off by a
> recent Windows10 update, causing FileHistory to be unable to access my
> other backup server.

It may well be that your backup server is defaulting to SMBv1 and isn't
negotiating a higher protocol. You can configure that as per the links
shared previously if you want to solve that problem. SMBv1 is considered
a security risk these days but some devices don't work without
reconfiguration if it's disabled on one end.

> By the way, I retired in 2014. For the last 10 years or so of my time there
> we used Linux for all the file servers (a lot of SME server plus a server
> that Ron commissioned for us); in the IT room we used LTSP; for most of the
> staff machines we used Ubuntu; for all the office admin we used Libre/Open
> office. In a bad year we would spend as much as £5000 on IT. Since I left
> it's become a full Microsoft shop and the operating costs are more than
> twenty times as much.

I remember you working on all of that stuff and you did a great job.
It's sad to hear most of that has or will go away but I guess that's
what happens when people leave. Forgive me for advertising but my
company provides support for Linux and Samba amongst other things (I'm
not the Samba expert...), so perhaps we can help if they ever need
assistance with some of the Linux stuff you built and we're only about
30 mins away.

FWIW I won't be around for the next few weeks so I apologise in advance
that I won't be responding if you don't get the issue resolved before then.

Adam