[Wolves] Linux or FOSS, was Re: LUG State of the Nation Address

Mark Rogers mark at more-solutions.co.uk
Thu Jun 20 10:10:06 UTC 2019

> > The widening of the remit should be all that's needed to be more
> > inclusive.

I'm not local (can't even remember how I ended up on this mailing
list, it was aeons ago) so throw my tuppence Tame if you like. (We
have similar issues at my local lug in Peterborough, but without
anything like the number of active members.)

But whilst I like the idea of promoting FOSS generally even if the
host O/S is Windows, you should be careful about what you wish for.
Where you could be headed is a mailing list stuffed with HTML email
and attachments asking why some document works in Word but not in
LibreOffice, and that could quickly drive off existing members.
Supporting Windows users - even if they are using FOSS on top - is a
very different kettle of fish to supporting Linux users.

If you're prepared to promote (say) LO and Firefox, but on the proviso
that you're only able to "support" people using them on Linux, then
that's fine (in which case you're still a LUG anyway). But becoming a
FOSS user group could well destruct rather than rejuvenate.

</2p>