[Wolves] LUG State of the Nation Address

Peter Cannon dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Thu Jun 20 08:31:46 UTC 2019

On 19/06/2019 15:07, Ron Wellsted via Wolves wrote:
>>      On Monday, 17 June 2019, 16:33:36 BST, Adam Sweet via Wolves
>> <wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:
>> TL;DR - LUGs are dying, need your help.
>>

> With the availability of software such as LibreOffice, Gimp, etc. maybe
> we should stop identifying specifically with Linux and focus more on
> free & open source software (WolvesFOSS ?). Yes, we know Linux is
> technically superior to certain bloated OSes, but does that have any
> meaning to the man on the street? They just want to access their emails
> (probably via webmail), Facebook, etc.

ROTFLMAO (And that's not a sarcastic laugh Ron) I started calling myself an Open Source advocate over 15 years ago as I could see that "Linux Advocate" was too narrow a remit. Clearly, as per usual, I'm ahead of my time and I just have to wait for everyone else to catch up. LOL

> While we have always been friendly, some people may have been put off by
> Linux as it is often seen as too technical and requiring too much
> expertise.

Nobody puts up posters in schools, colleges, Uni's and youth clubs anymore. (Are there youth clubs anymore?)

--
Regards
Peter Cannon

IRC: dick_turpin @ freenode.net
https://mastodon.org.uk/@dick_turpin
https://twitter.com/dick_turpin
http://www.cannon-linux.co.uk
Podcast: http://tdtrs.co.uk

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."