[Wolves] Jitsi

Adam Sweet adamsweet at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 12:14:41 UTC 2020

Jitsi appeared to work really well for the lunchtime meeting yesterday,
much improved over our experience early in the lockdown.

It was always my preference to use an Open Source platform rather than a
proprietary one, but Jitsi just wasn't reliable enough at the time. It
seems it is now though.

Are there any objections to using Jitsi rather than Zoom going forward?
Chris, how was resource usage yesterday? Would it handle a few more
people if we were to host a talk which proved popular?

The two things we didn't try were screensharing and recording, but we
can try those. I just tried streaming a Youtube video and it works well
though I couldn't work out how to close it once it started. Thankfully I
used a short one.

I note that it's possible to password protect the room. I might do that
if we're going to use it regularly, despite last night's failure to
remember. Still very sorry about that. I'll have to send myself a
reminder to post the password each week. Perhaps we can leave it without
password unless it gets abused.

Thoughts?

Ad