[Wolves] Jitsi

Chris Ellis chris at intrbiz.com
Thu Dec 24 12:39:31 UTC 2020

On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 12:14 PM Adam Sweet via Wolves
<wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> Jitsi appeared to work really well for the lunchtime meeting yesterday,
> much improved over our experience early in the lockdown.
>
> It was always my preference to use an Open Source platform rather than a
> proprietary one, but Jitsi just wasn't reliable enough at the time. It
> seems it is now though.
>
> Are there any objections to using Jitsi rather than Zoom going forward?

Not from me.

> Chris, how was resource usage yesterday? Would it handle a few more
> people if we were to host a talk which proved popular?

Didn't look at usage too closely, but I think we were well below the
CPUs I have assigned to the
VM and network cap.

I've had about 12 people on Jitsi a couple of months back without issue.

> The two things we didn't try were screensharing and recording, but we
> can try those. I just tried streaming a Youtube video and it works well
> though I couldn't work out how to close it once it started. Thankfully I
> used a short one.

Screensharing seems to work fine when I tried it a few times.

> I note that it's possible to password protect the room. I might do that
> if we're going to use it regularly, despite last night's failure to
> remember. Still very sorry about that. I'll have to send myself a
> reminder to post the password each week. Perhaps we can leave it without
> password unless it gets abused.

First person in can is mod so can kick people too.  I might look at
some extensions to control
access a bit more.

> Thoughts?

+1 from me.