[Wolves] Lightning Talks

Adam Sweet adamsweet at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 14:38:05 UTC 2020

On Weds we discussed the idea of holding regular lightning talk
evenings, perhaps once a fortnight or once a month as a prelude to
holding longer format talks in future.

By lightning talks we mean 5-15 minute introductions to a topic that you
know something about and can explain to others. Ideally, that would be
something geeky or to do with technology but it doesn't have to be, it
could be some other area you know about like music, cooking or gardening
since we're a diverse group and have lots of interests. Perhaps
something along the lines of:

* Your preferred Linux distro
* A particular software application that you know that others might be
interested in
* What you do in your line of work (sysadmin or dev tools, the language
or IDE you use, what technologies you use)
* Hardware (PC, server, embedded, Arduino, ESP32/ESP8266, radio)
* Radio stuff
* A particular musical instrument you play and how to get started
* Gardening or some other hobby you might have

Obviously, being a 5-15 min talk it doesn't need to be a deep dive, just
an intro and answering some questions.

We're an interesting bunch and we have a lot of expertise in different
areas of technology and a lot of interests outside of technology so I'm
sure each of us can come up with something.

So, for this coming Wednesday's virtual meeting, I'd like everyone to
think of something they could talk about for 5-15 mins on and we'll
choose enough to fill maybe an hour.

Don't be worried about talking about stuff you think everyone will
already know, or won't want to know, or getting something wrong, or
being heckled, we're all in the same boat and most of us have known each
other a long time.

I think we'd all like more LUG content, talks and presentations in
particular, but nobody actually wants to give them, so we all have to be
prepared to contribute and this is a low barrier to entry.

So, that's the price of admission for the next virtual meeting. If you
want to join the conf, then be prepared to talk about something. Do a
bit of prep so you know what you're going to say, maybe prepare some
slides or do a screen share to show stuff. If we have more than an
hour's worth, then maybe you won't have to do yours until the next time,
but at least you'll have to volunteered and we'll have something in the
bank for next time.

I'm going to post a follow-up containing a list of things I could talk
about and a list of things I'd like to hear others talk about.

Ad