[Wolves] Lightning Talks

Adam Sweet adamsweet at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 11:43:44 UTC 2020

Don't worry about it for tonight Andy, just join if you're around. As
for the future, I'd be interested in hearing about the hospital radio
from a technical point of view if you know any of that stuff.

Ha, I can do a talk on chilli/veg growing and cooking at the next one
maybe. If it's a chilli seedling that sprouted there's a good chance you
won't get any chillies this year as the season is too short now, but you
might. If you can keep it alive over winter you should get loads next
year as the plant won't need to spend 4-6 months growing to the point
where it can start producing chillies.

Basic instructions as follows. Keep it as warm and give it as much
sunlight as possible and it will grow well. As a seedling, keep the soil
damp but not wet. When the roots start to come out of the bottom of the
seedling pot, move it up to a 3" pot.

They like light, easily draining soil. All/multi purpose compost will
do, I also add perlite and vermiculite to help with drainage. Once
you've repotted you'll probably need to water once or twice a week,
adding some tomato fertiliser weekly to one of the waterings at a
quarter of the recommended strength and allow the soil to dry out in
between watering. Don't keep the soil wet, the roots need access to
oxygen and will die off if they're wet all the time. They're better kept
drier than wetter. They recover quickly from drying up but will suffer
in constantly wet soil.

When the roots come out the bottom again, move to a 6" pot. Once it
starts to produce the first flowers use 1/2 strength tomato fertiliser
weekly. When the roots come out the bottom again, move to a 9-12" pot.

Follow that and you should be pretty well supplied with chillies :)

Ad