[Wolves] Ditching X86, Apple Starts An ARM Race

Mark Rogers mark at more-solutions.co.uk
Sat Jun 27 18:38:30 UTC 2020

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020, 18:06 Adam Sweet via Wolves, <wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk>
wrote:

> Also, as my article above noted "No more Steam. No more Bootcamp. No
> more Linux", nor presumably Windows.

No more Windows,  but an App Store with all the apps and revenue related to
it.

Getting i* apps onto the laptops will be the biggest draw, for the
integration with the iUniverse (consumer benefit) and 30% app revenue
(Apple benefit). The number of users who will ditch Apple even if
performance is hit is minimal and the number of new iPhone/iPad users they
can attract is huge.

And few consumer apps are CPU bound anyway. Heavy CPU applications are
still better done in a desktop/ tower/ server configuration than laptop,
accessed remotely if needed.

I think this is a no brainer move for Apple. It will probably not be good
for Linux (or Windows) but Apple won't care about that. That said, Linux
runs just fine on Arm along with most of its applications.

Mark