[Wolves] Doodle?

Iain Cuthbertson iain at cuth.uk
Tue Mar 3 16:36:54 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2020-03-03 at 15:58 +0000, Adam Sweet via Wolves wrote:
> On 03/03/2020 11:54, Richard Sheppard via Wolves wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Would you guys be averse to using doodle.com for confirming meeting
> > attendances? Something like this:
> > https://doodle.com/poll/fbbqnuzbnc47pwse
> >  ?
>
> My first thought, without looking at it, was to say I'd rather keep
> everything on-list, partly so people don't have to make an extra step
> just to add themselves or see who's coming as the information is just
> in
> front of you already in your mail client.
>
> I'm also reluctant to use third party services unless they
> significantly
> benefit us. I'm conscious of the risk of history loss if the service
> went away or paid only (maybe I'm just a hoarder). I certainly
> wouldn't
> want people to have to create an account, or for us to have to pay to
> use it for our events.
>
> That said, it does appear to be free to use, doesn't require
> responders
> to have an account and would help keep the list clean of formatting
> destruction due passing through numerous mail clients and people
> orphaning each others responses when replying. I'm aware that my
> 'hoarding' point above is of little practical value. I'd consider
> using
> it for the next meeting perhaps, unless others have meaningful
> objections. I haven't looked at their privacy policy or data
> processing
> terms to see if they contain anything concerning for example.
>
> Does anybody else have any feelings on the matter?
>
> Ad

I agree with Ad's sentiments about using 3rd party system and requiring
users having logins - I'm still surprised that we have a Facebook page
;)

But if we can improve upon the mess my (and others) email client does
to replies...

I think that the doodle poll system is good for when you want a binary
response.
I've recently used it to determine which dates a group of people can
attend an event.

In its current form, I don't see it working for our three "attending",
"late/maybe", "no goes" states.

Maybe we could take the doodle poll idea, extend it to our
requirements, and host it on the same server as the LUG's website.

There are lots of open-source packages out there. If there isn't one
that fits our requirements, we could release one for other
LUGs/organisations to use.

I haven't had a pet project to tinker on outside of work for a long
time. It's tempting to see if I can write something even if we don't
end up using it.

Yes, I would be using PHP and likely bootstrap for display :P

Cheers,
Iain