[Wolves] Doodle?

Adam Sweet adamsweet at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 16:30:14 UTC 2020

On 03/03/2020 16:36, Iain Cuthbertson via Wolves wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-03-03 at 15:58 +0000, Adam Sweet via Wolves wrote:
>> On 03/03/2020 11:54, Richard Sheppard via Wolves wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Would you guys be averse to using doodle.com for confirming meeting
>>> attendances? Something like this:
>>> https://doodle.com/poll/fbbqnuzbnc47pwse
>>>  ?
>>
>> My first thought, without looking at it, was to say I'd rather keep
>> everything on-list, partly so people don't have to make an extra step
>> just to add themselves or see who's coming as the information is just
>> in
>> front of you already in your mail client.
>>
>> I'm also reluctant to use third party services unless they
>> significantly
>> benefit us. I'm conscious of the risk of history loss if the service
>> went away or paid only (maybe I'm just a hoarder). I certainly
>> wouldn't
>> want people to have to create an account, or for us to have to pay to
>> use it for our events.

>> Does anybody else have any feelings on the matter?
>
> I agree with Ad's sentiments about using 3rd party system and requiring
> users having logins - I'm still surprised that we have a Facebook page
> ;)

Good point. I considered it a useful evil. At least Doodle doesn't
require a login.

> I think that the doodle poll system is good for when you want a binary
> response.
> I've recently used it to determine which dates a group of people can
> attend an event.
>
> In its current form, I don't see it working for our three "attending",
> "late/maybe", "no goes" states.

Ahh yes. I didn't think about this. We'd have to live with an
attending/no answer binary response. Do you know if it's possible to
extend the range of options Richard?

> Maybe we could take the doodle poll idea, extend it to our
> requirements, and host it on the same server as the LUG's website.
>
> There are lots of open-source packages out there. If there isn't one
> that fits our requirements, we could release one for other
> LUGs/organisations to use.
>
> I haven't had a pet project to tinker on outside of work for a long
> time. It's tempting to see if I can write something even if we don't
> end up using it.
>
> Yes, I would be using PHP and likely bootstrap for display :P

Well volunteered :) Write it in Java and Chris will help you 🤮

Speak to Ron about software/hosting dependencies. Would it be
sensible/trivial to have it mail the list when somebody adds/removes
their name or changes their response? What about storing historical
meeting data? We can discuss later if you like.

Ad